By J. R. Nielsen
The book of his accumulated works will supply historians of technological know-how and scientists quick access to a life-work fullyyt dedicated to the rational research of the legislation of nature and of the singular personality in their which means for us.
In addition to Bohr's released papers, the sequence comprises unpublished manuscripts and a big variety of letters and different records, with explanatory notes.
By Alan Sokal
became front-page information around the globe and brought on fierce and wide-ranging controversy.
Sokal is likely one of the strongest voices within the carrying on with debate in regards to the prestige of evidence-based wisdom. In past the Hoax he turns his realization to a brand new set of ambitions - pseudo-science, faith, and incorrect information in public lifestyles. 'Whether my pursuits are the postmodernists of the left, the fundamentalists of the best, or the muddle-headed of all political and apolitical stripes, the key is that transparent considering, mixed with a admire for proof, are of the utmost
importance to the survival of the human race within the twenty-first century.' The publication additionally features a highly illuminating annotated textual content of the Hoax itself, and a mirrored image at the furore it provoked.
By Lill-Ann Körber,Scott MacKenzie,Anna Westerståhl Stenport
This ebook bargains a various and groundbreaking account of the intersections among modernities and environments within the circumpolar international North, foregrounding the Arctic as a serious area of modernity, the place the prior, current, and way forward for the planet’s environmental and political structures are projected and imagined. Investigating the Arctic zone as a privileged website of modernity, this publication articulates the globally major, yet frequently ignored, junctures among environmentalism and sustainability, indigenous epistemologies and medical rhetoric, and decolonization recommendations and governmentality. With overseas services made simply available, readers can discover and comprehend the increase and conflicted prestige of Arctic modernities, from the 19th century polar explorer period to the current day of anthropogenic weather change.
By Matthias Judt
By Hiromi Mizuno
Focusing on 3 teams of technology promoters—technocrats, Marxists, and renowned technology proponents—this paintings demonstrates how every one crew made feel of obvious contradictions by way of articulating its politics via varied definitions of technology and visions of a systematic Japan. The contested, complicated political pastime of conversing approximately and selling technology produced what the writer calls "scientific nationalism," a robust present of nationalism that has been neglected by means of students of Japan, nationalism, and modernity.
By National Academy of Engineering
This is the seventeenth quantity within the sequence Memorial Tributes compiled through the nationwide Academy of Engineering as a private remembrance of the lives and notable achievements of its individuals and overseas affiliates. those volumes are meant to face as a permanent list of the numerous contributions of engineers and engineering to the advantage of humankind. ordinarily, the authors of the tributes are contemporaries or colleagues who had own wisdom of the pursuits and the engineering accomplishments of the deceased. via its participants and international affiliates, the Academy incorporates out the duties for which it was once validated in 1964.
Under the constitution of the nationwide Academy of Sciences, the nationwide Academy of Engineering was once shaped as a parallel association of remarkable engineers. contributors are elected at the foundation of vital contributions to engineering thought and perform and to the literature of engineering or at the foundation of verified strange accomplishments within the pioneering of latest and constructing fields of know-how. The nationwide Academies proportion a accountability to propose the government on concerns of technological know-how and expertise. The services and credibility that the nationwide Academy of Engineering brings to that job stem at once from the talents, pursuits, and achievements of our individuals and overseas affiliates, our colleagues and acquaintances, whose unique presents we keep in mind during this book.
By Charlotte Lebensart,Wihelm Pelikan
By Carl Adelhard von Drach
This booklet is a duplicate of the unique booklet released in 1867 and should have a few imperfections equivalent to marks or hand-written notes.
By William Buckland
William Buckland, English geologist and paleontologist, dean of Westminster (1784-1856)
This booklet offers «Geology and Mineralogy thought of as regards to ordinary Theology», from William Buckland. A dynamic desk of contents allows to leap on to the bankruptcy selected.
Table of Contents
- approximately This Book
- volume Of The Province Of Geology
- Consistency Of Geological Discoveries With Sacred History
- right matters Of Geological Inquiry
- Relation Of Unstratified To Stratified Rocks
- Volcanic Rocks, Basalt, And Trap
- fundamental Stratified Rocks
- Strata Of The Transition Series
- Strata Of The Secondary Series
- Strata Of The Tertiary Series
- Relation Of The Earth And Its population To Man
- intended situations Of Fossil Human Bones
- basic historical past Of Fossil natural Remains
- mixture Of Animal amusement elevated, And That Of ache lowered through The lifestyles Of Carnivorous Races
- Proofs Of layout within the constitution Of Fossil Vertebrated Animals
- Proofs Of layout within the Fossil is still Of Mollusks
- Proofs Of layout within the constitution Of Fossil Articulated Animals
- Proofs Of layout within the constitution Of Fossil Radiated Animals, Or Zoophytes
- Proofs Of layout within the constitution Of Fossil Vegetables
- Proofs Of layout within the inclinations Of Strata Of The Carboniferous Order
- Proofs Of layout within the influence Of demanding Forces at the Strata Of The Earth
- beneficial impact Of worrying Forces In Giving beginning To Mineral Veins
- variations Of The Earth To come up with the money for offers Of Water during the Medium Of Springs
- Proofs Of layout within the constitution And Composition Of Unorganized Mineral Bodies